Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Redecorating and Exploring! (WITH PICTURES!!!!!)

Today I redecorated the tank! I think it looks good, and it seems like Nyekundu loves it! I'm not sure about Naji though. While Naji sits near the water bowl, Nyekundu is walking around, checking out new hiding places and even climbing! Yes climbing! I did some more research, and apparently African red toads have been found 6 feet in the trees. Who knew? So I decided to get them some climbing material, a large log and a smaller stick. And I found Nyekundu climbing (or jumping onto?) the smaller twig. Success! :) another thing, by giving them places to climb, I'm able to give them more space! :) so, enough of me prattling on, here's the new set up and the promised pictures: 
The new set up. 
Naji in the water bowl.
Cuteness!!!! Nyekundu. 
Nyekundu.
Nyekundu climbing. 
The cuteness stare by Nyekundu. He's at the top of the smaller stick. 
Nyekundu taking a "bath."
Naji, sitting behind the water bowl
Naji, I put her on the big log trying to encourage her to climb, and she did climb a little bit higher! (Yay!...?)
One more view of the tank: 


Ps, 2 updates. 
1. I am 85% sure that both toads are males, but I'm not all that positive. Ugh, it's hard to tell about the  nuptial pads. I think though, that African reds nuptial pads are white, rather then dark. 

2. I have only seen one mite since cleaning everything off.




Oh, by the way, heres a little about enrichment, Enrichment is really important, especially to a wild caught animal. (I do not agree with keeping wild caught animals, it was an unfortunate accident that these toads came to America, and there is no way to fix it. I understand that sometimes an animal is injured and cannot  be released, but that is a different situation. Wild animals  (unless injured) should never be taken from the wild just for the pet trade. This is unethical. We have plenty of domestic and captive bred animals. 

Enrichment is extremely important to help keep your animals healthy and happy. Remember that nothing in the wild is consistent. 
For some animals food related enrichment, such as puzzles, hidden food, or toys with food inside is good enrichment. But always make the food available as to not frustrate the animal. Try switching up the environment. For some, hunting is great, and you can also try different types of foods. You can even just switch the placements of lights for some critters. 
Some animals even like TV. Enrichment makes animals happier, healthier and smarter.

1 comment:

  1. Woke up this morning to find Naji, at the top of the log! I saw her towards the bottom last night. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.